Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Educational Addiction...


I have to confess...I have an addiction! Once my school day is complete, home responsibilities are in check, graduate school work is caught up, and lunches made for the next day...I turn to my current educational addiction!  I am what you would call...A Blog Stalker! I admit it....I spend a lot of time searching other Kindergarten teacher blogs! I think that blogs are the most amazing resource for me as a classroom teacher. It's like a online collaboration of ideas and resources. I am able to collect a wealth of  new ideas, teacher made resources, and new approaches for teaching kindergarten concepts!This is the real reason for my addiction!
Having the common factor of being an Early Childhood educator with the bloggers that I read, is like having a huge party of my closest kindergarten colleagues all together and sharing ideas with one another. Just this week alone,  while reading through my blog list, ....I have printed out a new book to use with my "insect" unit,as well as a really cool way to incorporate an insect art activity into my math time, and an awesome template to use when assessing my students during reading instruction time. All of these things were found on other kindergarten teacher blogs! (I am including the link to these blogs at the bottom of this post.) Because of my addiction searching, I have gained wonderful insight into new and innovative center activities just from reading and following other classroom bloggers. These blogs usually include detailed descriptions, pictures, and links to additional resources. In my last post, I linked my Social Bookmarking list. In this list, I included several teacher blogs that I follow. Here is the link to my Delicious list again--- Social Bookmarking List-.

The blogs that I am referencing are "teacher share"... rather than a classroom blog where the students are responsible for posting and commenting. They are specifically designed for the the classroom teacher to share and connect with other teachers.
Below are a few of my favorite blogs to visit. These blogs are filled with math, literacy, organizational, science, social studies, and so many more ideas!



A  HUGE shout out to the  AWESOME teachers that take their time to create these wonderful blogs, share the fabulous resources, and continue to inspire other teachers like myself to find new ways to teach kindergarten! These are just a few of my favorites to follow....I hope you enjoy them too.

Mrs. Jump's Class

Chalk Talk
Dr. Jean and Friends

Growing Kinders



3 comments:

  1. Great blog! I enjoyed reading about your addiction. Although I don't teach Kindergarten, I feel my students who are working below grade level can benefit from some of these ideas. Thanks for sharing your favorite blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your personality shines through your blog….I just love it! I found myself giggling & smiling all the way through it this week. How blessed your students are to have such a wonderful teacher.

    Thank you for these awesome blog resources! I couldn’t get off the blog “Growing Kinders.” I was taking notes, cutting & pasting ideas, and adding the blogs to my Diigo list. My favorite blogs are the ones who provide real student work samples & classroom photos. It makes the explanation of specific strategies very clear. The “Growing Kinders” blogger did this beautifully. I enjoyed her twist on Daily News. I often used word activities from the book Making Words by Patricia Cunningham. (wonderful resource) This blogger used a similar strategy during her Daily News time. Until now, I hadn't thought to actually add this lesson to my Daily News chart until reading her blog. I was using it as a separate activity, but it fits perfectly with the Daily News. It is these little ideas we can all share together & make a big impact on student learning. (How cute was the Super E song?!....Precious!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I also have found myself reading more blogs than ever before. I looked at the four blogs you listed in your post and all of them are filled with an abundance of resources, and most of them have resources inside the resources. This Connectivism philosophy is an interesting piece of work. Thanks to 21st century technology a teacher can click on one site or blog and find enough information to keep them occupied for days. I have become a big believer in teaching blogs, due to all the resources that bloggers share. I, too, Michelle am fascinated by how accessible and simple finding new strategies for instruction are, and will forever be changed in my search for new ways to impact student learning.

    ReplyDelete