Just as the title of this post states...when I first heard that I was going to be required to complete an assignment on "Social Bookmarking"...my first response was somewhat like a response my students sometimes give..."huh?" I had not earthly idea what this term even meant, much less how to complete an assignment for this. Just as I have done for all of my other technology assignments this term, I just jumped right in and started exploring what this involved. With the extremely helpful information from my instructor, I was able to embark on a new adventure and navigate through a social bookmarking site called "Delicious". I have to admit, JUST the title of the site scared me! I was thinking I was going to be way to old and technology challenged to ever fully understand this concept called "social bookmarking".
Well...I was so wrong! What an interesting and beneficial tool to use when searching on the Internet?! Through this "Delicious" site, I was able to save other websites and resources that I found and organize them through this awesome site. One of the most ingenious features of the site is the toolbar tab that allows you to click and save the site you are reading directly into the Delicious files. It made it so easy to complete this project. I would search the Internet for whatever topic I wanted to review and once I had decided if the material was something that I wanted to save....all I had to do was click on the toolbar tab and it was saved! I could go in later and add tags, descriptions of the site, and even group together sites that were similar or about the same topic.I am HOOKED! I was searching and clicking like I had been social bookmarking for years. Here is the actual link to my Delicious profile for you to see what I have collected.
Within this profile, I have saved about 35 different sites that all involve teaching, kindergarten, literacy, math and 21st century skills. I have included webpages, web journal articles, blogs, videos, and podcasts all within this search. Each entry includes tags for ease of searching and sorting. One of the resources that I have added to my Delicious profile focuses on Literacy Learning Centers/Stations for kindergarten students.
Here is the link to access this great resource.
I hope that you can find some ideas on this site as well. If you don't... be sure to click over to my Delicious account and search for other resources that may interest you as well.
I am definitely hooked...I can now say that I "Social Bookmark" and that I have taken the "huh" out of the equation. Happy searching friends!

I love your title this week! When I read the words “Social Bookmarking” for the first time, I was curious and concerned too. After reading through you list, I can’t wait to add your great resources to my Diigo list. I especially liked the “Little Literacy Learners” blog you bookmarked. How exciting it is to peek inside another teacher’s classroom and learn new teaching strategies. This site is one I will frequent often.
ReplyDeleteThe classroom literacy centers site you provided is wonderful too. What great pictures & descriptions for each literacy activity this site provides. Who would have thought bottle caps & letter recognition would work together to create fun, hands-on activities for students. I am making notes, highlighting & bookmarking…. I can’t wait to implement many of these ideas in my classroom.
Thank you for sharing your teaching knowledge with me. I have learned so much from your posts.
Michelle, it is obvious you put a lot of time into your social bookmarking list. You have so many insightful resources. I really liked the ABCya! computer games link. I am an exceptional education teacher and many of my readers in the eighth grade are below grade level in reading. This website combines technology and literacy perfectly to help guide my students in building their literacy skills. I honestly have to say, I may be referencing your blog next week in my blog so that I can share this website. It fits absolutely perfectly with my blog topic. I cannot wait to see how my students respond when I introduce this website to them.
ReplyDelete